Sep 15, 2013

Cotton Candy Inspired Outfit

It's Project Run & Play Week 2!

This one was a tough one at first for me. Candy Inspired. Hmmm. I've had candy on the brain a lot lately while making the Halloween Treat Bag pattern (releasing this week!!), but I didn't want to sew something Halloween-ish for week 2. I really wanted an outfit that was clearly inspired by candy...but would work as an everyday outfit for one of my girls.

And here it is...the cotton candy inspired outfit.


I looooooooovvvvvveeee cotton candy! Spun sugar. Yum! It's also just so pretty and usually is pastel which was perfect for a girly look. I started looking for inspiration with a simple Google Image search for 'cotton candy' and here's the image that inspired the look the most (the link to it wasn't right so I don't know the original source - but it's SO cute):


My 5 year old, Emerald, loves anything pink so I knew this would be a look perfect for her. We even made a big fabric cotton candy for the pictures (it's just pink fleece wrapped around batting). She loved it!

My overall look is sort of an inverted cotton candy. Big, pink, fluffy skirt on the bottom and a white wrapped shirt (just like the paper cone) on top. I had some pink and white striped fabric on hand and cut it on the bias to make the long belt so it had stripes just like the inspiration picture.


The skirt is actually something I made for Emma last Easter. I just tucked in the lace outer skirt so you could just see the pink tulle underneath. The leggings are just like the ones I made for my daughter Isa here and are from the Ellie pattern by Violette Field Threads.

The top (the wrapped 'cone' for the cotton candy) is Look Number 9 from Five and Ten Designs' new pattern, the Volume One eBook. (a great set of patterns to have...so versatile!) Look Number 9 is actually a dress, but since Emma wears a uniform at school she can't wear a dress...but she can wear a cardigan on top of her school shirt. So the dress turned into a wrap top!

Here are the modifications I made to the pattern (in case you want to make one too - it's so easy!): I cut the bodice according to the pattern directions. But then I cut the lower pieces 8" long instead of the full dress length. I didn't use a lining (or skirt) at all and just serged the seams so they were nicely finished inside. Then I drafted a long sleeve to the size of the armhole opening. Instead of attaching the sash pieces to the actual garment, I made it as a standalone 'belt.'

The thing I love about this top is that it's cute theme-y and dressed up with all the pink, but also will work for everyday casual outfits.


I'm thinking of adding a button to the side so she can keep it closed when she wants, but it looks cute open too.


So there you have it...a cotton candy inspired look.
What's your favorite kind of candy?

26 comments:

  1. Look at those eyes! Ad your outfit is great...I want a cardigan in my size!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!!! I love those pink and white stripes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The top looks super soft & comfy:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are stunning. Love that little skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love! She seems to love it too! Great job!

    Don't forget to come link to our Fall Clothing Party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the skirt! The whole outfit is adorable!
    Alexia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! And I love that the top is so versatile, and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this take on the theme! Cotton candy--my girl would go nuts for this outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love! Such great pieces that work together in so many ways. Cotton candy is a great choice and the inspiration is obvious without being "Halloweeny." The cardigan is my favorite piece, and it's so cute paired with that pink striped shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute and my project was cotton candy inspired too! Who doesn't get inspired with those fluffly clouds of pure sugar.
    ~Major Moma

    ReplyDelete
  11. personally I love the tropical skittles or kit kats the best! The outfit was very cute& practical which is totally my style.

    Mae

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your leggings. What kind of fabric are they made out of? How much stretch does the fabric have?
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Deborah...the leggings are made out of a stretch lace-type material I found at JoAnn Fabrics. The fabric doesn't have as much fabric as a knit, but it works as leggings and my girls love them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so darling! Love how you made the cone cardi so versatile and wearable for later.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the cardigan and how your candy inspiration is clear in the design but still wearable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! Love how versatile it is! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos....and what a versatile outfit you designed/constructed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that adorable cardigan! My daughter has one that's similar and I always wanted to make another-such cute lines. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that your outfit was cotton candy inspired too. My favorite part is the lace leggings with all those rows of ruffles...so pretty!
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, how sweet! Everything works so well together in this outfits, lovely belt to the lace leggings! And your daughter is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This outfit is adorable! My three year old would love to wear it. I think the striped belt really completes the outfit. Cute, cute, cute!
    --Jill, from Jill Made It

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job! Every detail of this is beautiful. I hope one day when my kids get school aged that I can make cute numbers like this that make them feel so cool.
    With Love,
    Scary

    ReplyDelete
  23. lovely!! that white wrap is lovely, I want one in my size!!! I linked up a Milky Way inspired outfit for my son... SO much fun! Emily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete
  24. That cardigan reminds me of the ones ballerinas wears. So sweet and classic but that ruffle is a great update. I kinda want to make one for Wub to go over her uniform.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Bloglovin Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email RSS RSS