Jun 8, 2012

Don't laugh...

In the spirit of my earlier posts this week...I have one more clothing project to share that I sewed...
...for myself.
I've never made a dress for myself before. I mean, I guess I could have made myself a pillowcase dress like these but that would look pretty ridiculous on a 30-something year old woman.

A couple weeks ago I found a Cynthia Rowley pattern that looked cute and decided to try to whip up a little dress. I had no idea how it would turn out.

Overall, I think it was a good first attempt and I actually gathered up the gumption to wear the dress to work yesterday. I had warned everyone about it ahead of time and they were all very kind.

I have lots to learn if I'm actually going to make some clothes I feel comfortable wearing out in public. This was my first time sewing an invisible zipper, pockets (I actually love the pockets in this dress), using fusible interfacing, and the first time I made a lining for a dress when it wasn't part of the pattern. (oops - I chose a see-through fabric and had to figure out how to line it)

The biggest thing I want to learn is how to look at fabric and see the finished dress in my mind. I can do that with fabrics at home...I can visualize how different rug patterns and curtains will look...but on clothes it's different. I liked the fabric in this dress, but when I attached the sleeves (the last step) my husband's comment was "whoa - that's a lot of pattern." And it's true.

So, please don't laugh too hard. (posting this is kind of like overcoming a fear of showing something I made and of posting a picture of myself on this blog - weird) Here's the dress:
And yes, I photoshopped a tiny bit (I'll own up to it - God bless the liquify tool)...but what I really should have done is give myself a tan. Could those legs be any whiter? :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of your legs still. and seriously- when do you make time to sew?! impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Bloglovin Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email RSS RSS