Nov 21, 2014

Sewing with Liquid Gold

Have you seen the Rowan Tee? It's a fantastic pattern by Titchy Threads and I had big plans for sewing a special tee for Henry's 4th birthday. (My baby is FOUR today!!) But then...I went to the fabric store and couldn't find any fun printed knit for his shirt. What I found instead was liquid gold (the fabric kind, not the Velveeta kind) and I got inspired to do a completely different version of the Rowan Tee for my baby girl. (At what point do you have to stop calling them 'babies'? High school? LOL)

The gold I found is a buttery stretch velvet from JoAnn Fabrics. It's super stretchy and I immediately envisioned it for the stripe on the tee and as leggings. The problem? This is a super expensive fabric. ($28 a yard - yikes) Thankfully I had a coupon and she's still small enough that I can make a pair with only a yard of fabric.
The shirt itself is made from a slightly stretchy fur-like snake skin print with gold stamped into it. It's such a cool fabric. Totally impractical for kids' clothes, of course, but for a holiday outfit I thought I'd chance it.


I cut the shirt in a size 6, adding a bit of extra width to the sleeves so they weren't so fitted, and the shirt was cut with a bit of an A line shape so I could lengthen it to a tunic without it being too snug on her hips.
I actually made a second Rowan Tee for my birthday boy. I found some navy polartec fleece for a cozy sweatshirt and added red twill tape to the hood. What a fun detail (included in the pattern).
His favorite part of the sweatshirt is being able to push his hand all the way through the kangaroo pockets. Ha! Silly little guy. Happy Birthday, Henry!!
The Rowan Tee is such a great pattern! There are endless options for the Rowan Tee and you can see lots of different ways of making it by clicking through the other pattern tour participants. Plus, you can get a discount on the pattern by signing up for the Titchy Threads email list. Thanks, Laura, for having me on the tour and congrats on another fantastic pattern!!

8 comments:

  1. oh the fabric is amazing in the outfit you made for your daughter!! so unique! love the boy version too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the gold fabric! That's so fun and gorgeous! And that pop of red inside the hood is just fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Isn't that red detail fun? Laura's patterns always have great details like that!

      Delete
  3. I am not surprised you couldn't resist that gold fabric, wow! The whole outfit is stunning and your daughter has the most beautiful eyes (your son does as well!). I love your son's sweatshirt too, especially that pop of red. Thanks so much for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me sew up your fantastic pattern!

      Delete
  4. Both are so darling! I love that you used such crazy fabric for your daughters. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That fabric is so impractical for a kid, but so fun to sew with. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Bloglovin Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email RSS RSS