Nov 28, 2012

A Coat with Many Colors

I am continuing to seek out sewing projects that will challenge me and help me learn new skills. A few months ago I made a coat for the first time. It took me a while to grasp how the lining is put in so that it tucks neatly under the cuffs. And cuffs. That was the most difficult part of the whole coat.

I had been eye-ing some crazy fabric at JoAnn's for a while but had no idea what I would make with it...until I came across this picture in a Simplicity ad:
It's the crazy fabric in a darling coat! So I bought the Project Runway branded pattern (Simplicity 2534) and began sewing.

Here is Emma in her new coat. I made it a size bigger than what she wears now so fingers-crossed she can wear it next year too. (Hey - it was a lot of work to make, so I want to see her wear it more than just a couple times!)
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I had trouble matching the stripes on this crazy fabric. The sides matched ok but the front didn't. Oh well. I'll keep practicing that. At least on this busy print, it didn't seem to matter much if the stripes weren't perfectly matched.

Maybe next year I'll make one for Isa. I think it would be a cute jacket in fleece...and would probably be warmer too. But I love the hidden pockets and gathered inside lining. Emma loves the humongous buttons and is excited to wear it when we go places. It's fun watching someone walk around wearing something you made...especially when they really like it. :)

Right now I'm finishing up my most ambitious sewing project yet. I am very excited about this one and I can't wait to share it when it's done! Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. That is insanely adorable. I've been crafting a few things lately and it is so calming and feels so good to make stuff. I can see why you've kept up with the sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Bloglovin Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email RSS RSS