Jul 5, 2010

Independence...thankful for our military

Two weeks ago we returned from a fun trip out east. More pictures in the coming days of our time in NYC, Annapolis, and Philly. We ended our trip in Washington DC. It's only been a couple years since we were there last - but one of the big things Michael never got to see was Arlington National Cemetery.

We saw the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and walked around the cemetery a bit.


I have a friend buried in Arlington and we went and visited his grave. (Note to my friends and family - I'd like to not write about visiting anyone's graves for 60 more years so please stay healthy!)

I got to know Charlie in college and it was so fun to see the love story between he and his wife Laura unfold. Even when he was finally telling her that he really liked her...he used military references to say it. :) A true soldier through and through. He was killed in Afghanistan on June 3, 2005 and was buried at Arlington exactly 5 years ago today. I'm so thankful for Charlie and the countless others that have served and are serving our country.

It is sobering to see the new parts of Arlington and the number of recent gravesites. I don't know the etiquette on pictures like this - so if it's inappropriate to post a picture of a grave - someone please tell me.


I'm thankful for the military - and for those who do as much as they can to support them. I've worked at America's Family Coaches for 5 years now. (I moved my start date to July 7th so I could try to attend Charlie's funeral.) On July 17th, AFC will be hosting their annual Walk for Military Marriages. They raise money to send fantastic materials to military couples who are preparing for, in the midst of, and returning from deployment. I can't imagine how hard it would be to be separated for a year or more from my husband and am happy to help in any little way to support these families.

If you'd like to learn more about the Walk or donate go here . There are also a bunch of fun silent auction items you can bid on with proceeds going to the military marriage initiative.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Bloglovin Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email RSS RSS